Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Poor Eli

Since last Thursday Eli hasn't been sleeping well. I knew this could mean 2 different things. He is either getting teeth or he is getting sick. I couldn't see any teeth coming in and at this point Eli has too many teeth for me to stick my finger in his mouth and check in the back. So it became a waiting game. Over the weekend his nose started running, but it was clear. That made me think it was teeth. So we just kept waiting and watching for more signs. Monday he got a low grade fever of 99.8 so I was really thinking it was teeth. As the day went on his fever got worse and by 5:00 it was almost 101 so I started thinking it was more than teeth. Also on Monday I noticed that he was losing his appetite. He even threw his fruit on the floor and he always eats his fruit. I gave Eli some motrin before bed on Monday and he went to sleep ok at 8. He woke up again at 10:00 and I was able to rock him and calm him down and he went back to sleep. He woke up again at 2:30 and his entire body burning up. He had a fever of 102 so I gave him some more motrin and rocked him until he was almost back alseep. I laid him down and he started crying. He does this sometimes so I decided to see if he would cry himself back to sleep. It only took a minute for me to realize he wasn't going to sleep. I picked him back up but I couldn't get him to calm down. He just kept crying and then he started gagging. I got him into the bathroom and held him over the toliet while he got sick. It was very sad. He just wanted to hug and hold me and didn't understand why I wasn't picking him up. After that I got him cleaned up and decided to take him downstairs and rock him. I had planned on just letting him sleep in my arms in case he needed to get sick again. I held a cold towel to his head and neck to help him cool down and took off his jammies and let him rest in just his diaper. I turned on Yo Gabba Gabba for him and figured it wouldn't take long for him to fall asleep. Well after 3 episodes of YGG where he was pointing, laughing, and getting excited I decided he was probably ok to go back to his bed. So at 4:00 I laid him back down and he went right back to sleep. I laid awake for the next hour so I could listen and make sure he was ok. I then got up at 6:00 to call the families of the kids I watch to let them know I couldn't watch them that day.
I got Eli into the Dr on Tuesday morning to check and see if he had an ear infection because he had been pulling at his right ear and that usually means he has an ear infection. Luckly he doesn't have an ear infection just a yucky virus. The Dr said the fever could last up to 72 hours so just to watch him the next few days and to continue the motrin.
I can already tell he is feeling better. He still doesn't have much of an appetite and he seems to want mommy to hold him all day, but today his fever was down to 99.9. Last night we had a hard time getting him to sleep. I was afraid to let him cry for too long, I didn't want him to cry so hard he made himself sick again. We thought we got him to sleep around 9:00, but he was up a little before 10:00. It then took me until 11:30 to get him back to sleep but thankfully he slept until 7:30 after that.
It is no fun having a sick little one. I am very glad he is feeling better, now I am just a little tired.
This picture is from Friday morning. He woke up crying at 5:00, I got him calmed down and back into bed by 5:30 and then he was up for good at 6:00. By 8:00 this is how he was. That made for a tired mommy for the day!


If Eli isn't being held by mommy this is where he would like to be!

No comments: