Monday, February 23, 2009

House Fire in My Neighborhood

A little before 2:00 Kennedy's mom was picking her for a Dr appointment. She comes in and says that the house down the street has smoke coming from the garage. After she leaves I take a look out the back door and can't beleive what I see. It isn't just smoke, the back half of the house is engulfed in flames. It broke my heart and I couldn't help but cry for that family. I knew right away the house was gone. I was only outside for a few minutes and I could see how quickly the fire was moving. At first it was just at the back of the house and about a minute later I could see flames out the top of the house and the front of the house. Before I knew there was a fire I heard a few small booms but didn't think anything of them and now I clearly know that something was exploding. The garage is at the back of the house so I think that is where it started. There was also a car in the driveway that was completely gutted. As far as I can tell nobody was home, or they were out of the house before it got bad. I never saw an ambulance so I don't think anyone was hurt. This house is only about 5 or 6 houses away from us but we don't know the family that lives there. From our backyard we have a clear view of the front of the house but since the garage was in the back we never really saw them. The heat of the fire was so intense that the houses on either side have damage to at least the siding. Here are a few pictures I took.






My mom, who lives 2 hours away, called about 1 hour after I first heard of the fire to see if everything was ok. She saw the fire on TV and knew it was my neighborhood. I just saw on the 5:00 news that there were 4 adults and 1 child in the home, but a passerby notified them of the fire and they were able to get out in time. It also said they are renting and do not have renters insurance. The small booms I heard were 3 cars exploding. It is a blessing that they are all ok, but I am sure they have a rough road ahead of them.

1 comment:

Amber said...

Wow! How scary! Glad that you and your family okay! What a horrible position for the people who lived there. I hope they are able to find resources that will offer some assistance.

Also, thanks for the comment on my blog :) it is fun to check out people's blogs!